68° Gardner, KS
The official student-run newspaper publication at GEHS.

The Blazer

The Blazer

The Blazer

Recent Results

Award-Winning GEHS Math Teacher

Jonas Pippitt Won the New Horizon Award During His Second Year Teaching
Jonas+Pippitt
Jonas Pippitt

Jonas Pippitt has been teaching at Gardner for two years. For those two years he has taught Algebra one and Algebra two. He says that his inspiration to teach is the teachers he has had in the past.

“I would say the teachers that I’ve had have had a big impact on my life and people taught me to be a good person,” Pippitt said. “There’s several of those that inspired me that are still here at GEHS.”

Pippitt said that his first year here was great and it was a really fun time to learn and grow as a teacher. He explained that he came in at the start of a semester and he got a group of students that hadn’t had the same teacher all year.

“I like GEHS because we have a great staff and a lot of great teachers who support each other. We also have a lot of great students,“ Pippit said.

Pippitt helps out with the cheer team and he’s been selected as the prom sponsor for this year’s prom.

“This year I’m the prom sponsor and I’m helping plan this year’s prom with a really great group of students,” Pippit said.

The Horizon Award is reserved for those teachers who have successfully completed their first year of teaching and have performed in such a way as to distinguish themselves as outstanding. Pippit went through a lot to be entered to be awarded the Horizon Award for completing his first year here at GEHS. 

“I was very honored and I was very surprised when I got selected because it was a long application and a lot of writing,” Pippitt said. “When I was awarded the horizon award I felt really honored that I won and was recognized.”