Masks Return to GEHS

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Everyone must wear a respirator before leaving the house to protect against Covid-19’s virus and germs.

Ethan Hunting, Online Copy Editor

Within the first two weeks of in-person learning, following several quarantines by students and staff alike, a mask mandate has once again emerged. On Monday, August 23rd, the school board voted 4-1 to expand mask requirements to grades 7-12 after two board members walked out before the vote.  The decision followed the quarantining of several staff members, most notably 11 out of 16 lunch workers, forcing other administrative workers to fill in to help with food service. 

“It was an important step for the school district to take,” says Jody Marshall, head of HR. “Just one more step or factor we could take to try to improve our ability to serve the kids in our community.”

How long the new mask mandate will last, however, remains unclear. 

“I would assume it will stick around until the vaccine is approved for younger grades or there’s less illness in general,” Marshall said, “So I would assume some things would have to happen in the community at large.”

Consequently, no true deadline has appeared for when the mandate will end. Some speculate it will last until the end of the school year, while others remain more optimistic.

“Maybe that’s this winter,” Marshall said.