71° Gardner, KS
The official student-run newspaper publication at GEHS.

The Blazer

The Blazer

The Blazer

Recent Results

New Classes for Next Year at GEHS

Mahlet Samuel

There will be four new classes for the 2024-2025 school year next year here at GEHS. Those classes are Astronomy, Environmental Science, Speech, and Financial Literacy. While it does not say exactly what those classes will entail in the GEHS Coursebook, other schools have similar classes with descriptions of what they do in those classes.

According to the article High School Astronomy Curriculum, an Astronomy course usually talks about how the universe works and how to figure it out.

“Astronomy studies all aspects of the known universe, an observational science that has transformed over the ages as new models, ideas, and instruments are introduced,” High School Astronomy Curriculum said. “The course emphasizes the physical processes at work in the universe and the methods we use to learn about [it].”

According to the article Time4Learning.com, the course of Environmental Science goes over many things while mostly covering a broad scope of things like soil, water, and energy.

“High school environmental science lessons cover a broad scope of topics including ecology, the biosphere, land, forests and soil, water, energy and resources, and societies and policy,” Time4Learning.com said.

According to the article High School Speech Curriculum, the class of Speech is pretty much what it sounds like, a class where students learn how to prepare for and make speeches.

“Students [in Speech] will demonstrate an understanding and application of the techniques used in formal public speaking including listening skills, speech preparation and research methods,” High School Speech Curriculum said.

The class of Financial Literacy mostly teaches about how to be financially literate and how to use one’s money wisely. According to the article Money Talk With Tiff, financial literacy is all about managing and understanding money in different ways.

“It’s all about understanding and managing your money, from balancing your budget to investing in the stock market,” Money Talk With Tiff said. “Being financially literate means being equipped to make sound decisions with your money and having the power to break away from debt and create a secure financial future for yourself.”

So, all in all, while the exact descriptions of these four new classes are not explicitly written in the GEHS Coursebook, students can begin to understand what they will be about by researching what goes on in those classes in other schools.