66° Gardner, KS
The official student-run newspaper publication at GEHS.

The Blazer

The Blazer

The Blazer

Recent Results

Long-Term Sub Returns as a Teacher

Learn more about Gwendolyn Martin, The New Earth Space Science Teacher
Gwendolyn+Martin
Gwendolyn Martin

Gwendolyn Martin’s favorite part about teaching is whenever students do something new, and they understand it.

“…Really seeing them have those moments where they learn something new… that’s what I enjoy,” Martin said.

Martin was a long-term sub this last year and decided to officially become a teacher at GEHS this year.

“…I was a long-term sub here last year for this class. So, I ended up enjoying it here, and decided to stay,” Martin said.

Martin is teaching Earth Space Science this year after previously teaching in Missouri and Florida.

“Most recently I was teaching at the University of Missouri, before that, I was teaching public school in Florida,” Martin said.

Last year, Martin was the unofficial sponsor for the Earth Space Science Club, and while she is not a club sponsor as of now, she may become one in the future.

“…I’m not officially a sponsor at this point,” Martin said. “…But I’d be willing to get involved in other clubs. I already told them over in Robotics that I’d be willing to help out if they need extra people.”

Martin has always been good at aiding others and explaining things in multiple ways, so she ended up teaching even before she became a teacher. This, amongst other reasons, made her want to teach.

“…I guess [teaching] was just a natural extension of the things that I already did…” Martin said. “I like working with students [and] I like working with other people who believe that education is important.”

During Martin’s second year of teaching, she got pregnant with her son, she began coaching high school soccer for the first time, and she was getting her teacher’s certification as well. All of this made that year her most challenging time teaching.

“…Just juggling that much stuff was a super big challenge, and I will say that after that year, everything else has seemed easy in comparison,” Martin said.