68° Gardner, KS
The official student-run newspaper publication at GEHS.

The Blazer

The Blazer

The Blazer

Recent Results

Valentine’s or Galentine’s

Keira Mills

Valentine’s day is a romantic holiday that is celebrated to show one’s love for others. This day originated from Roman Catholic Church honoring two saints named Valentine on February 14.

Many spend this day by going on dates and getting chocolates and gifts for their significant other. For those who do not have a partner for Valentine’s Day share their feelings on how this holiday pressures them and feels expected to be in a romantic relationship to celebrate the holiday and others feel like it is a way for companies to ask for more money.

I believe a great way to celebrate Valentine’s Day without a romantic partner can be spending it with friends instead. Those who spend it with friends call this day Galentine’s or Palentine’s rather than Valentine’s Day. Gal/Palentine’s day was created to show love for your friends and enjoy their company.

To spend this momentous holiday, many tend to bake with friends or watch movies with them. Gal/Palentine’s day came from a series called Parks and Recreation, the episode Galenites was created on February 11th 2010 .

Valentine’s day doesn’t always need to be celebrated in a romantic way to enjoy. I believe that anyone that wants to celebrate Valentine’s day should be able to enjoy this holiday, partner or not.