68° Gardner, KS
The official student-run newspaper publication at GEHS.

The Blazer

The Blazer

The Blazer

Recent Results

The Troubles of Traveling to School During Winter

Addie Reiter

Winter is here and frost, ice, and snow have arrived with the change of seasons. This means many things, including a change to many high school students’ commute to school. Whether a student arrives at school by bus, walking, or even driving their own car, students can run into challenges due to the winter weather. 

Matthew Mayeske, a history teacher at GEHS, believes that driving in the winter can be dangerous for everyone, but asking teens to drive in winter conditions brings an “extra layer of nervousness” since most students are still learning.

“Most students who are driving are learning how to do it properly, [and] would probably do better having good solid conditions,” Mayeske said.

Snow can affect many parts of driving, and while more experienced drivers have a better understanding of the problems that could take place, new drivers, like teens, might not be prepared for them.

In an article written by Ncs.org they state, “Snow makes every aspect of driving more difficult, whether you’re speeding up, slowing down or just parking. Experienced drivers have a better understanding of these issues, but many new drivers may not anticipate them at all.”

Mayeske warns students to remember to stay off their devices while driving, especially during the winter season, when the road is slick.

“Please stay off your phone. Do that anyway, but especially when you are in inclement weather,” Mayeske said. “You can run off of the road so fast.”

Mayeske also thinks it is important to pack a care kit just in case.

“In inclement weather, if you are a student, pack a care kit, or a duffel bag or clothing, blankets, [and] extra gloves because you never know when you are going to get stuck and you are going to be freezing,” Mayeske said. “You never know when you are going to need some of those things.”

It is very important for teens to have supplies in their car during the winter in case of emergencies.

An article by Iowa State University provided a list of important items that people should keep in their cars. They stated teenagers should have flashlights, a first aid kit, blankets, matches, mittens, socks, small shovel, and booster cables in their car. 

There are also important things to keep in mind before driving and while driving.

Iowa State University states that someone needs to clear all frost and show off their windows, headlights and taillights before driving. They also states the importance of driving defensively, and in some cases use a greater following distance.

Remember during this season to drive safely to keep you and others safe on the road.