70° Gardner, KS
The official student-run newspaper publication at GEHS.

The Blazer

The Blazer

The Blazer

Recent Results

Once Upon a Mattress

Joseph Patterson
Cast and Crew in OUAM

The spring theater production was Once Upon a Mattress.

Once Upon a Mattress is about a royal family where the queen set a rule that no one can get married till her son the prince gets married. The queen doesn’t want the prince to get married so she gives every princess an unfair test. This brings along a princess who is like no other princess that has come along so far,” Joseph Patterson, theater director,  said.

Once Upon a Mattress ran through April 24-28.

“The show went wonderfully. The cast, crew, and pit did an amazing job,” Patterson said.

Though there were many issues during tech week and show week with the sound board and the light board, the show still went great.

“The biggest thing I would change was the middle arch on the set. I wanted to make it a drawbridge but ran out of time to build it,” Patterson said.

When asked about the show students who were casted referred to the show as fun and exciting.

“I picked the show because it looked fun and it fit well with our actors,” Patterson said.

The main characters were played by Sky Robertson, Conner Booton, Colt Shadoin, Dylan Reeves, Quinn Rodgers, Caroline Kuzma, Myles Johnson, Jack Fortner, Andy Smith.

“We flew in a door and it wouldn’t stay shut so we put curtains in the frame of the door instead of a door,” Patterson said.

Crew had a lot of issues with the show but they weren’t the only ones.

“On the night before we opened a group of students stayed late with me to help finish off the set. While we were there we accidentally dropped a container of paint and it got all in my hair,” Patterson said.