68° Gardner, KS
The official student-run newspaper publication at GEHS.

The Blazer

The Blazer

The Blazer

Recent Results

Upcoming Winter Events In Kansas

Blake Davis
various winter events in Kansas

There are plenty of things going on throughout the year, but something everyone looks forward to is seasonal events. Especially annual winter festivals and events, they make everything come to life and look beautiful.

Sar-Ko Aglow

Named one of the best light displays in the Kansas City metro area, Sar-Ko Aglow is going to open on December 1st through January 16th at 6:00 p.m. at Sar-Ko-Par in Lenexa, Kansas. The lights are so bright and vibrant they perfectly reflect off of the water making a stunning view. With it being an amazing light display spreading through miles of Lenexa, Santa Claus is going to listen to children’s wishes until 7:00 p.m. The best thing about this annual event is that it is free to get in for all ages and there is no registration needed to get in, so go with your friends, and family and get pictures with this jaw dropping display of lights.

Annual Parade of Lights

Light displays and tree decorating are many people’s favorite part of winter events. Everyone puts so much effort into decorations making night look like day and light parades are no exception to decoration efforts.

Bring your biggest holiday spirit because the Annual Parade of Lights starts on Friday, November 24, in Goodland, Kansas. Line-ups for the parade start at 6:00 p.m (MST) and the parade begins at 6:30 p.m (MST) and will end at 7:30 p.m. (MST). There will be a contest for best holiday decoration, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place will be awarded prizes. The top 3 contestants will win, Most Original, Most Luminous, and Spirit Award. At Travelks.com you will be able to find information about the parade and how to register your group into the contest to win. The parade will start on 7th street and head north going onto main on 8th street

Kansas City’s Enchanted Christmas

There are so many places you can go for winter that have beautiful scenery and lights, but nothing quite beats Kansas City’s Enchanted Christmas.

Possibly the biggest Christmas event is opening on November 24 to December 31. Enchanted Christmas is the largest Christmas event coming to Kansas City, and makes this holiday really come to life. It is taking place at Legends Field, KC and covers miles and miles with a ton of different places to explore. Legends Field gets transformed into a large Christmas village with soft and bright colors all around you. Buying admission into the Village will cost $34 for adults (ages 18-64), $25.50 for juniors (ages 3-17), and infants get in for free (ages 0-2), you can find and buy tickets or look for all the information about this event at Enchant Christmas.com.

If you think these tickets are a little bit pricey, do not worry, every cent is worth the experience, there are five different areas you can go to. The first area is the maze, Eddie the elf and his reindeer will give you a job to find eight toys they misplaced that are on Santa’s list that they lost.

The next area you can go to is the village, they have all kinds of items there that are available purchase, such as artisans, specialty crafts, and boutiques. They have an ice skating rink where skates are provided, and people follow a beautiful icy trail while having fun on the way to the next section.

With any holiday related activities, the majority of the time you will eventually see Santa Claus somewhere, and this area is exactly that. Santa’s Landing is where kids can go to find out if they’re on the naughty or nice list and tell him what they wish to have for Christmas. Along with this they have professional photography to get a picture with Santa.

The final area you can go is the Little One’s Play Place, where you can bring kids (ages 0-7). This is the perfect place to rest from all the walking and skating and just have a good rest with some activities to do with the kids. They also host some special events which include Paws n’ Claus, College Night, and Military Night. Paws n’ Claus is where you can bring your pet of any kind and the people running the festival will donate pet food to animal shelters.

College night is where you can represent your college you went to with jerseys, school fit, or school colors. You can also win prizes for your outfit representing your college. Military night will be saluting, and honor our veterans with our heartfelt appreciation, and they will have activities for all of the veterans who attend and people on active duty.