64° Gardner, KS
The official student-run newspaper publication at GEHS.

The Blazer

The Blazer

The Blazer

Recent Results

Powerlifting Wins State

John Richards

Powerlifting is a sport in high school where students compete by lifting weights to beat other schools in the league. The main powerlifting coach for boys is Riley Trowbridge and for girls is Destiny Chadwick.

Powerlifting is a competitive weightlifting sport where students compete against other schools in their same weight class or above their weight class. When it comes to powerlifting, it’s a big team. But there’s a boy’s and a girl’s team, and they compete both as a large team and also individual teams.

“These kids have worked so hard not only to move numbers that are up to three times their body weight but to also raise their knowledge of how to win powerlifting,” Coach Chadwick said. “It was exciting to watch kids push their limits in order to achieve what we traveled so far. I have never been more proud of a group as I am with the 23-24 Powerlifting team.”

Chadwick said the team was “beyond excited” and their “energy was captivating”. The teams had been watching the scores all day to see where they were placed. When it came time for awards, receiving the plaque was a “relief from all the tension that had built up.”

“Of course there are many leaders on the team. Instead of naming specific kids that stand out I would like to acknowledge the entire team,” Chadwick said. “Our seniors do a great job at leading by example everyday during practices and guiding other teammates during meets.”

There are many different leaders in each grade but each grade shows leadership throughout the whole team. The team as one sets off leadership skills but as an individually grade they show more leadership skills

“Our juniors do an amazing job at holding their composer when faced with diversity and manage to move big numbers. Our freshman and sophomores are so willing to learn,” Chadwick said. “They truly love what they do and thrive off of challenging themselves on a daily basis.”