66° Gardner, KS
The official student-run newspaper publication at GEHS.

The Blazer

The Blazer

The Blazer

Recent Results

Powerlifting Spot Light

Jill Washington

Powerlifting is a sport in our highschool where the goal is to lift the heaviest weight in a specific weight class. The main coaches for this sport are Riley Trowbridge for the boys’ team and Destiny Chadwick for the girls’ team.

My former coach [was] Amy Stubblefield, and then when I went to college, Ryan Baylark,” Chadwick said. “They pushed me to my limits. When I went to college I had no clue how strong I was, I just didn’t know my strength, and Stubblefield instilled a lot of confidence into me, and then Baylark pushed me to my absolute max.

Every coach has their own motivations for why they coach, and for Chadwick it was her former coaches who pushed her and helped her reach her potential. And just as coaches have their motivation, they need their athletes to have motivation. It is the coach’s job to help them with that, especially at a high school level.

“For girls it’s Abby Callahan, she shows up every day and she has to be the hardest working in the room, nothing comes easy to her, and she knows that,” Chadwick said. “I know the boys’ team really well, but they compete against one another, so whether it’s practice or meets, they’re going head to head the whole time. I would say Dossin  Kinler, Thomas Savasten, and then Serge [Otiankouya], they’re very competitive so I can’t really pick one.” 

Those four people from the boys’ and girls’ team have worked the hardest this season according to Chadwick and will hopefully continue with their hard work throughout their life. And just as those students have shined threw with their hard work there are others who have put the work in and improved from the start of the season to the end.

“Olive Koerner. At the beginning of the season it was her versus herself, and how she did not know her limits. She did not know how much she could lift, and now she’s really getting up there and competing with other girls,” Chadwick said. 

Peers also agreed with what Chadwick said.

“I would probably say Olive too, on that one she’s pretty around the place,” Ashlyn Huff , sophomore, said.

Improving in a sport is always something people want to achieve, and is what motivates a lot of people to keep doing their sport. Improving is showing how much you have grown since you started and shows the dedication and discipline you’ve taken upon yourself to keep getting better at what you do. One thing that always motivates people and helps them improve is good sportsmanship.

“Ethan Sanders, he will go around all over the place and ask you what your numbers are and ask you what you did that day, and he’ll have his little posse with him and they will hype you up in the best way possible,” Chadwick said.