70° Gardner, KS
The official student-run newspaper publication at GEHS.

The Blazer

The Blazer

The Blazer

Recent Results

Day in the Life of a Girls Basketball Player

Maddie Carman

Have you ever wondered what a typical day in the life of a girl’s basketball player looks like?

From the rigorous mental stress of tryouts to hours of daily after-school practices and three games a week, it is more demanding than most people realize. Success in basketball requires a lot of mental and physical effort, and it takes time and hard work. 

Right after school at 3:15, practice begins. The girls start with stretches and warm-up drills. After, they split into small groups to do position-based drills which focus on improving specific skills based on their positions on the court.  If it’s a practice the day before a game, they will watch film to prepare for the upcoming game like watching the plays from the opposing team and watching their own games to see how they can improve.

After film, the girls get back to practicing. They split up JV and Varsity and go through all of their plays, then scrimmage for a little bit where they practice their skills and strategies in a game-like situation. Then, it’s time for some conditioning. Practice typically ends at 5:45 and the girls get to head home.

Despite the tough conditioning and practices, it’s all worth it when the Blazers pull out a win. The girl’s basketball team works hard behind the scenes to be successful on the court, and their dedication and hard work pay off in the end.