Powerlifting team wins dual championships

Ryan Shirley, Staff Writer

On March 4th the GEHS power lifting team competed at Wichita in the 6A State Power lifting Championship and both boys and girls team took home Championship titles competing against eight other 6A teams.

Their total pounds lifted in the three main lifts bench, squat, and power clean were added up and whoever had the highest amount won that weight class but points were awarded to the people with the highest amount in an individual lift. The individual points were then added to each team and both boys and girls team had the highest amount earning them two team state Championship titles.

For the boys side Senior, David Valiente Juniors Jonas Pippitt and Kolbee Finnell as well as Sophmore Keegan Michael all were state champions in their weight class with Valiente, Pippitt, Finnell, and Michael all winning the squat event  Pippitt and Finnell both won power clean and Pippitt winning the bench event as well

Setting boys state record lifts in their weight classes are Junior, Greg Beaumont with 200 lbs in bench and Pippitt with 355, Senior, Dustin Carstens with a 425 squat, Pippitt with a 500 squat and Senior, Hunter Mulford with a 525 squat.

The girls had Sophomore, Roesha Daniels and Senior, Lauren Strick take gold for their weight classes. Daniels and Strick both won squat with Strick winning bench as well.

For the girls state record lifts we had Junior, Kelsey Leffert with 180 lbs in the clean Junior, Cassidy Androff with 165 lbs in the clean and Senior Lauren Strick with 350 in squat.

To qualify for the state meet you had to be one of the top three lifters in your weight class at a qualifying meet according to Michael

“Preparation for the meet was intense, in after school weights we had weightlifting and conditioning as well.” Pippitt said “We got the reps in to be champs.” added Michael

Michael’s favorite part of the event was the intensity of the lifts and the team bonding that occurred in seeing someone complete the lift. Pippitt appreciated the sportsmanship of everyone involved citing how no matter what team you were from if someone got a difficult lift or a new personal record everyone was there to cheer for them.

“The pressure of lifting in front of so many people was really stressful everyone watching you when it really mattered was a lot to stomach.” Michael said

Both boys and girls team could overcome the stress and score enough points to take the overall state team titles.