Thespians come out on top at conference

Savannah Cox, Staff Writer

On the weekend of Jan. 10, drama students traveled to Wichita for the State Thespian Conference. Several received superior ratings and they all did very well.

Kevin Medlin and Christian Herndon received superior ratings for monologues, while Cooper McGuire and Ali Haag received a superior rating for their duet performance.

Thespian Conference is a place for actors/actresses in high school to go and compete against other schools and get ratings for their acting/improv performances. This year the thespians competed against over 50 other schools from in and around the area.

“I learned lots of useful techniques I plan to use during performances. One of the classes I went to taught me how to use the props on stage to recall a whole part of my character’s life and another class I went to taught me how to stand on stage when I wasn’t doing anything. Both will definitely be really helpful,” sophomore, Jacob Casey said.

The GEHS improv team “Room for IMPROVment” consisting of Kevin Medlin, Cooper McGuire, Noah Powell, Justin Scheck, and Christian Herndon took second place in the improv competition.

“My favorite part was probably just being at a convention with all of my friends. Sure the plays and classes were amazing but there was just something about the bus ride there and spending my free time surrounded by so many friends,” Casey said.

If you want to see the students in action, you can catch the GEHS drama students during seminar improv as well as the spring play later this semester.