The need for an accepting society

MaLynn Pierce, Staff Writer

The world has a tendency to judge someone based on how they look. What color their hair is, facial piercings and how much makeup someone is wearing are all examples of what people should be able to do freely. The good news is, this is 2017, and no one should have to care what anyone else thinks.
Freedom of expression is not technically written in the first amendment, but it kind of goes hand in hand with the concept of free speech. People are allowed to say whatever they want to, so people also believe that they should be able to look however they want to.

There is a lot of activist groups that support this. One example would be the “Free the Nipple” group, they primarily try to push the idea that it should be publically acceptable let a woman show her nipples. Another example would be those people who support the idea that humans can turn themselves into different organisms. Like facial and body reconstruction to make one look like a reptile or an animal.

The controversy surrounding the idea lies in the hands of those who support the idea of personal expression and those people who say there is a “norm” for how a human should have to look. This generation of teenagers and the generation of current adults are pushing for more and more freedom of expression, and the people that counter that are the older generations who were raised in a very proper world. A world where girls and women would have to dress perfectly to go out to breakfast, and men and boys that would have to dress proper to go into town because it would be considered “respectful.”

“I don’t think that anyone should stop anyone from expressing themselves because it doesn’t hurt anyone else” sophomore Rachel Antoszewski said. “I just felt like it. I wanted to get piercings for a long time it’s just something that I like.”

This generation is attempting to disregard the aspect of “respectful” appearance, and people should look how they want to. A woman can wear shorts, tank tops, have piercings, have different colored hair, and wear no bra. Same with men, they can look however they want, and shouldn’t have to be judged.

The idea of personal expression should not be criticized or shut down. People have the right to look how they want, because the world is an ever changing place, therefore people should be able to change too.