New schedule a bust: Blue, White Days not well received among students, teachers

Jaclyn Adamson, Editor-in-Chief

The staff Editorial represents the opinion of The Blazer staff.

It was decided last year that manic Mondays were to be cast out. This year, the high school finally made the change to a new schedule that alternates between Blue and White days.
This is not that different from the old schedule but it has not been well received by the student body or The Blazer news staff.
For example, each week students only go to certain classes twice. Even though students are getting the same amount of class time in a two week period, it is difficult to get focused in a class you are only in twice a week.
“I don’t really care for the new schedule,” senior Mary Trompeter said. “I liked the old one better and would have liked to have that schedule for my senior year.”
Teachers are getting behind because they are not seeing their students as much. Even touching base on a Monday is better than not seeing students for several days.
Another variation from last year is the changing of seminar time. While the earlier lunch times are a sweet treat, the later seminar times do nothing to help students. People are not getting the opportunity to study for their upcoming tests.
Seminar needs to be at the very beginning of the day. Early seminar would give students a chance finish up their homework and study for upcoming tests.
“People can get work done more if they have seminar in the morning,” Trompeter said.
It could also be at the very end of the day. This would make leaving for sporting and school events easier.
But will students try and leave early or show up late? Well, they already do that. If they really do not want to be in school, they will leave whether during seminar or in the middle of math class.
While we applaud the administration for trying to update the schedule, the result is not what students and faculty would have wanted. The new schedule and seminar time are not what we want from our day.
There will never be a schedule that every single person in the school likes. People will always think the classes are too short, they are too far apart, they do not work, etc. While teenagers will find a way to complain about anything, it is the general consensus of The Blazer newspaper that the new block schedules have very little improvement over last year.