T.E.A.M.S. participates in sticker shock activity for Alcohol Awareness month

T.E.A.M.S.  participates in sticker shock activity for Alcohol Awareness month

Ryan Shirley, Staff Writer

May 3, the T.E.A.M.S. (Teens Educating and Advocating Mental health Solutions) club participated in a sticker shock activity which is supposed to stop the reselling of alcohol to underage minors

The students were not legally allowed to touch the alcohol so they put tags on the bottles instead which read “Thank you for not providing alcohol to minors. The whole community is affected by underage drinking. Let’s all take the responsibility to prevent it.”

IMG_7663 updated

They were assisted from a representative from the Johnson County Teen task force, Student Resource Officer Hoffer and the two sponsors Mrs. Valvero and Mrs. Audsley. The Johnson County Teen task force sponsored a sticker shock activity for other school districts as well.

When asked about the event Mrs. Audsley said that “Habits whether good or bad are developed early and people should follow the recommonded age for consuming alcohol.”

Hoffer contacted liquor stores in the area and All Star Liquor was the only one to allow them to participate in Alcohol Awareness month which is April but due to schedule conflicts had to be done in May.

The four students that went were Juniors Amaran Gonzalez, Quinn Lanigan, and Sophomores Emma Crawford and Alexandra Anderson.

Alex Anderson added that “underage drinking is an issue and we wanted to keep everyone safe.”