The Great Debaters

Alex Cross, Staff Writer

Debate is one of the more active clubs at the school containing a high amount of participating competitors. Debate Coach Mike Zegers said he coaches debate because he enjoys how it makes the students think.
“They [the students] have to argue both sides of the topic,” Zegers said. “One round they may be for, but then they may have to turn around and be against it the next.”
According to Zegers, a lot of underclassmen are doing well, which is something he said he really likes to see.
“Since they are younger, that means that they’ll be back for more in the coming years,” Zegers said.
It is not just these young members who are doing well, but several teams as well.
“We have already had three students qualify for state.” Zegers said. “We are hoping to get three more so we can send three whole teams to state.”
Debate is one of the larger clubs at GEHS. The club meets during class, with extra opportunities for more practice offered by Zegers.
Senior Sean Lukowski is a debate competitor. Lukowski did not join debate for “any special reason”.
“I just joined for something to do,” said Lukowski. “I kind of wanted to join something, and I knew people in debate.”
He has had several debate partners, but he continues to compete. His progress this year is slow, but steady.
“I could do a lot better honestly,” said Lukowski. “All in all, I am doing alright.”
Debate has a long season ahead of it with plenty of opportunities left for members to achieve qualification for state