57° Gardner, KS
The official student-run newspaper publication at GEHS.

The Blazer

The Blazer

The Blazer

Recent Results

Enthusiastic New Band Teacher Joins Staff

Justin+Davidson
Blake Davis
Justin Davidson

Justin Davidson is the new band teacher here at GEHS. He grew up in Tonganoxie, Kansas. He studied jazz and got his degree in music education in Kansas as well.

“I grew up in Tonganoxie, Kansas, so not very far from here. I went to Tonganoxie High-school, all the way through,” Davidson said. “I went to Kansas City, Kansas community college. I studied jazz there, and then I went to the University of Kansas and got my degree in music education.”

Davidson says because his 8th grade band teacher believed in him he “became good.” His talent for playing the saxophone granted him a scholarship.

“[I] didn’t have to pay to go to college just from playing saxophone…” Davidson said. “I wouldn’t have made it through college if it wasn’t for band and wasn’t for music. I would like to be able to, hopefully, do that for kids.”

Davidson not only plays traditional instruments, but also has tried playing a few unique instruments.

“I’ve attempted to play, not well, but I believe the pronunciation is shakuhachi… It’s a Japanese flute that sounds amazing. Everyone would recognize the sound,” Davidson said. “I’ve played a bass saxophone before, that’s pretty rare.”

Once Davidson started student teaching he wanted to be in a bigger scene with his career. He wanted to teach and conduct high school level band, and this year he got his chance to do it.

“I want[ed] to be in a large high school on the eastern side, particularly Johnson County. There’s just phenomenal resources out here,” Davidson said.