Overcrowding In Weightlifting Classes

Angela Ocanas and Jarrett Reiter

With the increase of students this year, the weights classes are overcrowded, leading to less productivity among the students.

“80 students is what I originally wanted to be in Strength and Conditioning III. Which is a class of juniors, seniors, and some sophomores,” Riley Trowbridge, Strength and Conditioning Coach, said.

Senior Peighton Johnston, a student athlete in the Strength and Conditioning class spoke about her class.

“There’s like 90-something students in my weight class. We have four people in our rack, but I’ve seen more in others. We get through half of our assigned stuff sometimes, maybe less,” Johnston said.

Most of the Strength and Conditioning III classes are all over 80 students, Blue 2 Strength and Conditioning III is the biggest weights class with a total of 93 student athletes.

“I have not had to change any plans yet, but with too many people in the class it makes it harder for students to get through a workout and get everything done,” Trowbridge said.

Counselor Krista Hart explained the process of making a schedule.

“When you guys enroll in the spring and you put your requests in, there are some things that we have to change as far as your requests based on different bands, choirs, orchestras, we have to make them specific,” Hart said. “So we get those kinds of all ready to go and then the computer spins, does its thing and schedules everybody, we call it like the rollover, so it kind of schedules everybody.”

Hart explains why holes and general problems occur while making a schedule.

“The student needs to decide ‘Do I want to be in band or do I want to be in this honors class?’ We can’t decide that without the student here, which is why then we would leave that blank … Me personally, if there was a hole in the schedule, it was for a specific reason, not because it wasn’t done right,” Hart said. “Counselors have 15 extra days, not before and at the end of the school year, but total. So they’re kind of spread out. Half of them are at the beginning, to work on schedules and that’s all we do is work on schedules during that time.”

The counselor staff understands what students are going through and would like them to know that they are working hard to get everyone in their first classes.

“My biggest concern is that everybody ends up in the classes that they want to be in to the best of my ability, but I do understand the frustration that a lot of students feel, and maybe some anxiety as well, which is not my goal but I do want everyone to know that we were working long hours to try to get students into their schedules, especially when the schedule changes came around,” Hart said.