What’s New in the Halls of GEHS

Coming back from summer vacation, students were faced with the surprise of the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policy, the stricter dress code and the opportunity to carry around their backpacks from class to class.

Abby Sola

A student participates in the new BYOD program. BYOD is new this year.

BYOD has been a national trend throughout the country and with kids growing up in this tech-savvy era, the use of familiar technological devices is hoped to prove beneficial to them, principal Tim Brady said.

GEHS started exploring ideas of introducing BYOD into the school last spring and a few teachers jumped at the opportunity. Teachers involved as of right now are US history teacher Walt Cochran, science teacher Kate Parker, English teacher Cinnemon Buie, math teacher Michael Hibit, special education teacher Molly Lonergan, and CTE/FACS teacher Shelley Valvero.

“We’re documenting how we’re using it, the kind of response we get from kids,” Brady said. “If it goes well, we’re hoping to expand this to the entire school by second semester.”

The students at GEHS already feel like BYOD is going to be a huge success. According to Brady, being able to pull up an app for taking notes is not only faster and saves time, but it keeps the students more engaged.

“I think it should be in every classroom because it’s convenient,” senior Jasmine Crame said. “It makes it easy for students to access the internet and note-taking devices.”

BYOD introduces a new level of learning for students by allowing them to take notes and submit assignments through the Schoology app.  According to Valvero, using technology helps students prepare for college and for the faster pace that comes with it, without a giant stack of papers.

One part of BYOD Brady wants to emphasize is that GEHS is beginning BYOD for the students.

“It’s not for me. There’s nothing in this for me,” Mr. Brady said. “This is for you guys.”

Backpacks

Ever since having backpacks in class was against school rules, students have fought it and brought them into class anyways. This year, students are finally allowed in classes, depending on the teacher’s policy.

“I like carrying [my backpack] around because it makes it easier to get to class on time and not be late,” sophomore Chris Strick said.

Most students find it more convenient and easy to get to class on time if they do not have to stop at their lockers between each passing period.

“I like carrying around my backpack because I have access to the supplies that I need for my classes,” senior Jasmine Crame said.

Most students agree being able to carry around backpacks is easier for on a day-to-day basis.

Dress Code

Our school has always had a dress code, but at the beginning of the year it is more strictly enforced, associate principal Heather Peeke said.

“At the start of the school year it’s always a challenge,” Peeke said, “It’s warmer and so females in particular tend to wear stuff more conducive to summer weather.”

People who feel uncomfortable or get distracted by shirts showing a lot of skin does not have to be concerned anymore because the dress code is more strictly enforced.

“I approve of the … dress code,” senior Jasmine Crame said. “I don’t have to worry about seeing thing that I should not be shown at school.”