First Winter Formal To Take Place After a Year of Covid Setbacks

GEHS’s first winter formal since 2020 will take place on February 12 at 8 pm. Tickets will be sold during lunch and at the dance.

Flyer for the Sweetheart dance, including the time and date of the dance.

GEHS StuCo

McKenzie Sullivan, Social Media Editor

The Sweetheart Dance, previously known as Winter Royalty, is the winter formal held at GEHS on February 12 from 8-10 pm. After a Google Form was sent out offering the options for the theme of the dance, StuCo revealed the theme is Valentine’s Day.

“Sweetheart, a red, pink, and white type of theme,” StuCo member Chase Walker said. “Very much like a romantic type of setting.”

This dance, similar to the other dances, is a formal event.

“We ask for formal attire,” Walker said. “Dresses and suits don’t have to match what the theme is, but the theme colors are going to be white, red, purple and then pastels of those.”

Due to the dance being a formal event, it is common for students to have dates. However, dates can only expand to other students at GEHS.

“Our school handbook says that for Homecoming and Winter Royalty we do not allow out-of-school dates. We are investigating how to start the process of changing the school handbook but we won’t be able to get that done before the dance. So no outside school dates for winter royalty this year,” Activities Director Michael Simpson said.

No outside school dates for winter royalty this year

— Mike Simpson

Voting candidates for Sweetheart king and queen will happen similar to Homecoming candidates.

“We will send [seniors who are liable for being a candidate] out through a Google Form which will be sent to students’ school emails,” Walker said. “Then they can just fill out the form and then they can pick who they want for each candidate.”

The annual basketball game before the day of the dance will take place on Friday, February 11. During half-time of the boys’; basketball game, the Sweetheart candidates will go out and the two winners will be revealed.

Dance t-shirts are being sold online, to be worn at the basketball game on the 11th. Tickets will be available to buy for $5 in advance of the dance and will be sold at lunch starting the week of the dance. Tickets will also be sold at the dance for $10.