Father’s Club: A Way For Dad’s to Connect

FathersClub.org

Father’s arms locked together to show how much they have bonded.

McKenzie Sullivan, Social Media Editor

The Father’s Club is a group run by fathers to connect with other fathers in their communities.

“The Father’s Club is a dad-led, grass roots effort promoting intentionally around dads’ relationships and time spent with their families, with each other and within the community,” Todd Milner, Director of Chapter Development said.

Being a member of the Father’s Club is available for any father who is interested.

“The Fathers Club is for any fathers who just want to be intentional about fatherhood, wanna be intentional about being a part of their children’s lives and their kids’ friends lives, be a part of the community, be intentional about being a part of the community and overall just trying to enhance where their family grows up” Matt Cortner, member of the local chapter of the Fathers Club said.

There are no specifics to be welcomed in the Father’s Club, all you have to do is sign up to get the information emails, and then come to local events.

“You don’t have to donate a dime to become a member of the fathers club just go to fathersclub.org/join. Put in your first name, last name, email address, and a couple other little small things there and you’ll be on the mailing list, you’ll see the events that are going on in the area, and you’ll get any blogs and things that we’re putting in there,” Cortner said.

In The Father’s Club, fathers are given the opportunity to talk about different things to other fathers who may have experienced the same things. Having this group is a way to get advice, talk about issues, give/get support, or talk about anything they may be experiencing.

We still get together, hangout, talk about issues, talk about things in the community, talk about our kids, things that we’re dealing with at work, just having somebody to communicate with and have a little support for each other and from each other.

— Matt Cortner

“We still get together, hangout, talk about issues, talk about things in the community, talk about our kids, things that we’re dealing with at work, just having somebody to communicate with and have a little support for each other and from each other,” Cortner said.

Although the Father’s Club is not a professional way to get help, the support offered is real. The members of the Father’s Club are said to care about other members, and offer them the help they can provide.

“We’re not doctors, we’re not counselors, we know that. But a lot of times what we find is, communication is the best therapy or the best medicine and so we try to be there for kids and for other dad’s that are going through some stuff , there’s a good chance one of us has gone through something like that as well,” Cortner said.

The Father’s Club uses their resources to help parents grow as a person.

“The hope is that such intention will help empower parents to be a catalyst for change in the areas of mental health, teen suicide, substance abuse, technology addiction, self-worth, anxiety and stronger families,” Milner said.

Although the Father’s Club is a way to communicate with other fathers, it is also a way to get involved with events and people in your community.

“There is a wide range of activities and events ranging from spending time in classrooms supporting teachers, dad and community events like Corn Hole and golf tournaments, supporting the needs of PTO organizations, fund raising, giving of our time in the community helping others, Chicken Biscuit welcome to school events, podcasts talking with students about mental health and challenges they face in their lives, to you name it,” Milner said.

Donations are a helpful part of the Father’s Club funding. On the Father’s Club website, you can go to the “Donation” tab and then pick where you will be donating. The Father’s Club website gives the option to donate to your choice of 16 different school communities, the Father’s Club general fund, and a special donation opportunity “Chuck’s Last Ride,” fund. These donations are appreciated by the members of the Father’s Club, but not at all required to become a member.

“All donations made to Father’s Club go 100% towards supporting all chapter activities, events for fathers and the community, mental health training, some software licensing fees and part-time bookkeeper,” Milner said. “We are a legal 501c3 organization. All board members, chapter chairs and dads on leadership teams as well as any dads who get involved are 100% volunteers.”