MENU

Bird Box Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bird Box Review

Elexis Herbst, Staff Writer

Bird Box, the apocalyptic thriller of November 21 of 2018 hit it hard when it was released on Netflix. Bird Box was written by Josh Malerman, author of Goblin and I Can Taste the Blood, and the movie was directed by Susanne Bier. The casting director did a phenomenal job casting the characters.
In my opinion, I feel like this movie was too hyped up here in GE and around the world. Don’t get me wrong, this movie really had me at the edge of my seat. The kills were pretty solid and very interesting, and I wasn’t expecting some of them one after another. I love the characters in this movie, they had really good and well-developed characters.
I have some things that I found wrong in the movie. One, in that one scene where Malorie and Olympia were talking about naming the babies when they were born, Olympia says that she rather name her baby girl Ariel or Jasmine or Cinderella, but Malorie instead names her Olympia. She later names the boy whom she delivered Tom, after the only one survivor left with her before he shot himself through the chin after encountering the group of blood-thirsty people in the woods where they hunkered down. Two, I didn’t like how Felix, played by Machine Gun Kelly, and Lucy, his love interest, run off with Douglas’s car and leave the rest of the survivors stranded, especially when there’s two pregnant women who need the most vitamins and such to help their unborn children.
I feel that Malorie and Tom’s relationship and trust in one another was probably the single most best thing about this movie. Both strangers had to go through seeing or hearing their housemates get killed while Malorie was pregnant and then had to survive with one another with both newborns. They also both were probably the best developed characters.
I will say it again, some of the kills were eerily amazing. Possibly, my favorite and most memorable kill would have to be Sarah Paulson’s character, Jessica, who died by jumping in front of a oncoming garbage truck. Another death that stuck with me, and still is, is the woman in the burnt orange jumpsuit who smashed her head into the thick glass in one of the hospital’s corridors in the beginning of the movie. I think that was probably the most painful kill I witnessed in that movie, because I feel like the rest of the characters’ deaths were quick and painless, to a point.
I’m honestly surprised the movie only rated a 62% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, a 51% on Metacritic, and a 6.7/10 per IMDb. I believed that the movie should’ve been rated a little higher.
I totally agree with Screen Rant’s Sandy Schaefer who writes, “Bird Box is a respectably moody and intelligent psychological thriller, if also a relatively muddled supernatural horror allegory.”