ACTing Prepared for College

Photo by Alex Howard.

Tyler Lowes looks at KU’s website in the ACT prep class.

The ACT is an achievement test used to measure what a student has learned from first through 12th grade.

The ACT has up to five components: English, math, reading, science, and an optional writing test. According to actstudent.org, colleges use the results of the test to determine readiness for college, course placement and scholarships. Students should take the ACT after taking certain core classes, including Algebra ll and Chemistry.

Senior Tori Shephard has taken the ACT three times and has already been accepted to the University of Iowa, where she would like to major in biomedical engineering.

“It allows students to prove themselves to the college of their choice,” Shephard said, “and be rewarded for scholastic achievements.”

It could be beneficial to complete a course like ACT Prep before taking the test. The ACT is often required for admission to a four year college or university, according to counselor Melissa McIntire. It can sometimes earn test-takers merit scholarships. Students who are planning on attending a four-year college after their first year out of high school would be candidates to take the test, McIntire said. The ACT Prep course helps with achieving the test taking skills necessary for the test. ACT Prep is taught by two teachers (students switch teachers for each quarter): Julie Gillette for English and reading and Stephanie Shephard for math and science.

“[Students] will learn test taking strategies,” Shephard said, “and then review math concepts that range from Algebra II to Trigonometry.”

Gillette reviews English and reading concepts such as parts of speech, as well as test taking skills for reading passages.

Another important test, especially for students interested in a coastal school, is the SAT, an aptitude test, which tests reasoning and verbal abilities. Unlike the ACT, the SAT only has three components: critical thinking, mathematics, and a required writing test. It is also used to determine college readiness, placement and possible scholarships.

“It is very important that students research the college they are interested in to find out if an SAT or ACT score is required,” McIntire said.  “Each school has their own distinct application and testing deadlines.”

Not all colleges require an ACT or SAT for admission, especially if a student has completed a General Admissions Curriculum for a desired college, but a score can help students with more promising admissions as well as scholarships. If interested in going to a four-year college when fresh out of high school, McIntire recommended talking to students’ given counselor or McIntire about schools of interest and whether or not an ACT or SAT score is required for admission.