Girl powerlifting team brings home state championship

jolene ford
Junior Jace Sprague pulls the lift at 205 pounds. Sprague brought home second in power cleans and third overall.

Jaqui Carey, Staff Writer

Saturday,  March 4, the girls powerlifting team lifted heavy to bring home the state championship for the second year in a row.

Senior Cortlyn Tryon won first overall as well as junior Roshea Daniels. Bringing home second overall was junior Jaqui Carey, sophomore Sariah Hull, and freshman Marly Henry. Tryon and Carey broke state records on the girls side with power cleans for Tryon in the 148 pound weight class and 345 pounds for squat for Carey in the women’s power weight class.

On the boys side, senior Jonas Pippitt earned first overall as well as first in squat, power cleans, and bench in the weight class of 198 pounds. Junior Tyler Henry took home first overall and in first in squat with 445 pounds. In the 123 weight class, junior Matt Sanchez won  first in bench and second overall. Junior Kole Nhingsavath fought to take home first in cleans and fourth overall.

Additionally,  both girls and boys would take home state records as well as school records. Carey would bring home a state champion in squat as well as Pippitt.

The team plans to be back next year with new faces and improvements. They hope to take home the championship for a third time.