The Sound of Concentration

Photo by Sydni Haen

Junior Jordan Jolly shows how productive he is while listening to music.

You are sitting in your room doing homework; you grab your iPod and open up Pandora, turning up the volume to full blast. Many students enjoy listening to music while working, but others get distracted if there is background music; listening to the lyrics and hearing the noise gets their mind off track.

“It’s a proven fact that people cannot multi-task,” English teacher Bobbi Schumacher said. “I believe students need to focus on what is being instructed at that point in time.”

Many students cannot focus on their schoolwork if music is playing, and songs can be a huge distraction. If the music is loud, then most people would not be able to concentrate on the homework in front of them. Also, many people have to switch back and forth between homework and music to pause, turn up the volume or skip the songs, which, when added up, takes away a lot of time from work.

“Teachers don’t allow music because it’s a distraction,” senior Mirage Phetsany said. “You could get off task.”

Others, like senior Savanah McDaniel, said music helps keep people focused and helps them work.

“For me listening to music blocks out distractions and improves my mood. Music motivates me,” McDaniel said. “If I am able to control the type of music, then it helps me focus.”

The type of music you listen to while working can affect how well you work. If it is a music genre you do not like, then it is not going to benefit you.

“Personally it helps me get focused on whatever I’m working on. Quiet music keeps me on track,” senior Taylor Browning said, “but when it gets louder or it’s a song I love, I get a little distracted.”

According to UNC Charlotte and University City, studies have shown that the right kind of music can help you relax your mind, which enables you to concentrate better. Music, for me, blocks out the outside noise and actually helps me study. It cuts down on distractions and helps you focus on your work. For some students even though listening to music can be a distraction, often times it is what keeps students focused and would be helpful during study time in class or at home.