Decision 2016: the aftermath

MaLynn Pierce, Staff Writer

Another election year has come and gone, and the next President of the United States has been chosen. His name is Donald Trump. This election was broadcast all over the world. Most suitably in America, where the population was going to discover who their new president was going to be.
As time shortened to the 8th, an increasing gap in America’s unity became more evident. Social media became a battleground with people bashing each other for their opinions. Public places held magazines either supporting or trashing a given candidate. People would spark up a conversation, and in many cases, it would be about the election.
“I saw students who were much more balanced in their views. […] So that wasn’t a problem,” sophomore English teacher Julie Gillette said. “I had students on both sides of the discussion, but their views were more based in actual observations and thought rather than just choosing a celebrity.”
Each person had their own view on why their candidate should be president. Both sides brought their own arguments to the table.
Sophomore Fiona Turner was a Hillary Clinton supporter in this election.
“I found that first of all, she was the most qualified, she has spent her entire life in politics,” Turner said. “She definitely knew what she was going to do.”
The day had finally come, Nov. 8, 2016 was here. People around the world took to social media sites such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to voice their opinions. The candidates also took to these sites to voice their last minute thoughts as well.
The morning of Nov. 9, the electoral votes totaled up, and Donald Trump was the winner. Feelings came out and people said whatever they wanted.
“I was really happy. I guess I didn’t like Hillary as much as I liked Trump,” sophomore Hannah Orrison said. “But Trump seemed to be the best decision for our country in a long time.”
Individuals that were not for Trump felt an impact as well.
“I am scared. That was definitely what I thought,” Turner said. “It was less against him because he’s one person, because they allowed a man that is racist, and homophobic, and xenophobic and transphobic and all of those awful things.”
Not only did Americans react, so did world leaders from a variety countries.
“Let’s give Donald Trump the benefit of the doubt,” Denmark’s Prime Minister Lars Loekke Rasmussen said, as he urged the US not to “close in” on itself.
On a smaller scale, students and staff in the school had their opinion on the effect that this election was going to have on America. Ranging from positive to negative, the opinions were said.
“People were afraid when Ronald Reagan was elected, but it turned out to really good. So I think that’s how this is going to work out too,” Orrison said.
A negative opinion came from Trump supporter sophomore Holden Carney.
“Negatively because I feel like even though Trump won and that’s how it is,” Carney said. “He’s such a polarizing candidate that people won’t be able to get behind him if they weren’t before. With riots going on all over the country, it’s just bad for America.”
America now has its new President-elect, and both the citizens and the world are going to have to witness how his next four years go.