GEHS welcomes new athletic trainer

Brooke Boyer, Editor-in-Chief

The  school year has brought forth many new faces to the district including teachers, students and administration. The athletic department welcomes athletic trainer Donnie Jamison to their staff. Jamison received his Bachelor in Science from Kansas State University with a major in Athletic Training and a minor in Kinesiology.

Before transferring to Gardner Edgerton, he spent two years as a trainer at Saint Thomas Aquinas in Overland Park. According to Jamison, everyone has welcomed him with open arms as he adjusts to the new environment.

“I am learning the way GEHS operates and adjusting accordingly,” Jamison said. “I am starting to settle in and others are learning my operating ways.”

Jamison was inspired to pursue athletic training by his high school trainer, who patched Jamison up so he would be eligible to continue playing. In high school, he played football, basketball, and baseball.

His main focus as a trainer is to identify, evaluate, treat, rehabilitate and prevent sports injuries. Some of the most common injuries that Jamison treats are shoulder, ankle sprains, and leg injuries such as muscle strains. He does not see a single injury more consistently than others.

“I visited him because I had a strained hamstring,” senior Zach Bass said. “I thought he was very helpful and very intelligent.”

The most peculiar injury Jamison has treated in his career was a Trimalleolar Fracture. This is a fracture located in the ankle where three bones were broken and displaced.

Jamison attends all home sporting events in case someone on either team is injured. If he is not in attendance a local athletic trainer will replace his position for the evening. The district ensures that someone is always nearby in case of an emergency. Athletes are eligible to visit Jamison’s office before practices, appropriate times during the school day and before the bus leaves for any away game.