New year new season

Jesse Heniss, Staff Writer

The 2016 volleyball season is underway with varsity’s record being 0-1. They played their first game on Thursday, Sept. 1 against Washburn Rural. While this season brings new players, there are also three new coaches entering the school district and volleyball program.

Alex Fitzmorris

Alex Fitzmorris went to high school at Blue Valley West to playing at the University of Arkansas, Boston College and graduating at Morehead State University, Fitzmorris is the new head varsity coach for the Trailblazer volleyball team.

“I want to see individual and team improvement this year,” Fitzmorris said.

Fitzmorris has been playing volleyball for 14 years and coaching as an assistant for 10 years.

To prepare the team for game nights, Fitzmorris ensures that the girls  “condition and practice every night doing mostly ball control drills to help take care of defense.”

As the team finishes up preseason Fitzmorris said she is excited to see the team improve on the little details of this sport.

As for Gardner Edgerton itself, Fitzmorris said “everyone has been very friendly and really open.”

Apryl Schmucker

After graduating from 1A Little River High School, Schmucker continued her volleyball and academic career at Hillsdale College.

Schmucker has been playing volleyball for 16 years and coaching for five.

“I’m really excited to see my players improve and the leadership grow,” Schmucker said.

To prepare for the upcoming volleyball season Schmucker said she has been building better relationships with her players so she is able to connect with them and learn how to better coach them.

“I love the athletes and their work ethic, they have really good community relationships,” Schmucker said.

Olivia Roudebush

Olivia Roudebush graduated from Blue Valley High School and continued playing volleyball at Pittsburg State University.

Roudebush has been playing volleyball for 13 years and has been coaching for three.

“I hope the girls will fall in love with the game while learning about the fundamentals,” Roudebush said.

This season Roudebush will be coaching the freshman A team. Roudebush said she will prepare her team for the season by “focusing on the basic skills to make sure they are solid before moving onto the more advanced skills.”

Roudebush said being a new teacher can be stressful and nerve-racking but “the district has welcomed and supported her.”