Blood Drive to take place Monday

A student from the 2014-2015 school year donating blood. The gift of life is the most precious thing, and if we have the opportunity to give it, that is so important, Terri Cooper, the nurse said.

Jaycee Zeck

A student from the 2014-2015 school year donating blood. “The gift of life is the most precious thing, and if we have the opportunity to give it, that is so important,” Terri Cooper, the nurse said.

Starla Stephens, Editor-in-Chief

The biannual blood drive will take place November 9th. The blood drive will be held all throughout the school day  in the auxiliary gym through American Red Cross.

The donor must be at least 16 years of age, weigh 115 pounds and be in good health.

Donors will be required to drink a water bottle and eat breakfast prior to donating.

The first step is to sign up during lunch periods. On the day of a water bottle will be brought to the student and they will be required to drink all of it. The donor will go to the auxiliary gym during the assigned block period that they signed up for.

Once there, they will fill out a registration — a driver’s license is required. After, the donor will partake in a mini health evaluation and then set up for donation. The actual donation process takes eight to ten minutes, according to American Red Cross. The donation staff will clean the donor’s arm, insert the needle and collect about one pint blood. After donation, they will be required to stay in the gym until they are deemed that they are well enough to leave. Snacks and drinks will be available to all donors.

Donors can give blood every 56 days.