Student attends March for Life

Connor Nuessen, Staff Writer

Junior Nicole Johnson along with a group of high school students from Bishop Miege, took a trip to Washington D.C. On this trip Johnson did not visit family members or just go to see all the local attractions, instead she and several others took part in the March for Life demonstration on January 22, 2015.

March for Life is a pro-life demonstration where people show their support against abortion. It started 42 years ago when the Supreme Court legalized abortion in the Roe v. Wade court case. The case states that women are entitled to have an abortion until the end of the first trimester without state interference.

The demonstration against abortion started small and has rapidly grown in size according to the March for Life website, marchforlife.org. It was estimated that more than 500,000 people participated in the demonstration this year.

Johnson decided to join the march because it is an annual activity that her church participates in. Johnson plans to continue to attend the event as she gets older.

“[I] wanted to stand up to the people who think it’s not right”, Johnson, a pro-life believer said.

Her favorite part of the trip was meeting many new people and seeing all the supporters come together as one to take part in the march.

Aside from the march the group also visited the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. The Basilica is the largest Roman Catholic church in the United States, and one of the largest in the world. The group attended church at The Basilica and noted that the mass was about two and half hours; this was very different from the length back home.

Overall Johnson felt the trip went fantastic. She loved everyone coming together to fight a controversial topic.

“It was great seeing all of us together,” she said.

The Washington Monument stands tall and lit up in the night. Photo by: Nicole Johnson
Scenic view of Washington D.C. Photo by: Nicole Johnson
Picture taken at the beginning of The March for Life. Photo by: Nicole Johnson