One move at a time

Alex Cross, Staff Writer

Chess Club is one of the smaller clubs, containing only six competitive members. Although the team has only been to one tournament this year, there is a long road ahead.
Chess Coach, Dr. Suzy Stewart (Blair) is confident in the team’s ability to reach their ultimate goal, state competition.
“I hope to have six students qualify for state,” Stewart said. “We have many promising members who can get three wins per competition.”
In order to qualify for state, players must win a minimum of two games at two separate tournaments. With each tournament containing six rounds, winning three puts a player at a 50/50 w
in/loss ratio. The team is hard at work trying to improve.
“We practice every Thursday and Friday during seminar,” Stewart said.
Chess Club Co-President Austin Bettes is one of the competitive members seeking to go to state this year,
“The team is doing okay, but we could all improve,” Bettes said. “However, I like our chances of reaching state from what I have seen so far.”
Bettes has played chess for most of his life, and he said he enjoys every minute of it.
“I love the intensity everyone brings to the game,” Bettes said. “Each game is a new experience, even if you are playing the same opponent.”
Chess Club members continue to practice in order to make sure they are ready for the December 13th tournament at the University of Kansas.