All for One Cause

SMA Race ‘N’ Roll was held Oct. 5 at Bishop Miege, to benefit kids who suffer from a deteriorated muscle disease. Friends, families and other volunteers participated in a one mile walk and 5K run around the streets of Roeland Park, Kan.

People in our community have been participating in Race ‘N’ Roll for nine years, and most began because history teacher Walt Cochran’s daughter, Lindsay Cochran, is diagnosed with SMA.

“Hanging out with the students from the high school and her friends from her school make her feel good,” Cochran said. “She loves seeing all of the kids who support her.”

Race ‘N’ Roll got its name because the kids with SMA roll in a wheelchair roll, and friends, families and participants race.

“We typically try to raise $30,000-50,000 each year,” Cochran said. “Lindsay typically raises $2,000”

Prizion printing, Pepsi and local businesses were some of the sponsors for Race ‘N’ Roll. Also, students who were in Natural Helpers volunteered at the race.

Junior Aubrie Stricker helped set up, stood along the track and cheered people on. Stricker enjoyed seeing all the people participating because it makes her feel good.

“I enjoy seeing all the SMA kids happy,” she said.

Stricker said she helps because she simply likes helping the community.

“[It brings] families and communities together for a good cause,” Cochran said, “but my absolute favorite thing is seeing my students come out and support my family truly means a lot to me.”

If Cochran were to describe Race ‘N’ Roll in one word it would be “amazing.”

“I’m always amazed about how much support friends and families have for the kids who have SMA”, Cochran said. “Not amazed by how much we raise but about how many people come on a Saturday morning to participate.”

All the money that was raised went to help find a cure for SMA.