Student Safety

SRO+Anthony+Garcia+poses+by+his+police+car.+

Photo courtesy of Ryan Fulks.

SRO Anthony Garcia poses by his police car.

There are many concerns for which schools have to take precaution. One of the biggest concerns in schools today is school safety. With the stories in the news lately about shootings at schools, it forces our teachers and staff to take precautions to make schools as safe as possible. School safety has been brought to the forefront of students’ and teachers’ minds.

According to CNN News, devastation struck Newtown, Conn., Dec. 14 with the Sandy Hook shooting.  Classes were under way at the school, and approximately 700 students were present. Out of the 700 students, 20 students, ages 6 and 7, and six adults were killed at the school. This event made officers and faculty look deeper into making schools as safe as possible.

More recently, on Sept. 16, a shooting at a Navy Yard in Washington, D.C. left 12 dead.

“It just makes me wonder what would happen if an event like that happened at GEHS,” sophomore Taylor Stewart said. “[I am concerned] about my peers’ safety.”

Anthony Garcia, School Resource Officer (SRO), said he worries the most about another event like Sandy Hook taking place in a USD 231 school. The reason he worries so much is because events like these are getting more and more popular, Garcia said.

“Sandy Hook changed everything about school safety,” Garcia said.

After this shooting, people really took a deeper look into school safety and how we can keep our students safe. Other teachers worry about the right way to protect their students if an event like this happened.

“[I worry about] being put in that situation and not being able to protect my students,” math teacher Emily Basham said.

Basham said one way she protects students is to keep a positive classroom environment, so nobody feels unsafe in her classroom.

“When I walk around school, I feel that all of the teachers are very concerned about their students, they’re  not just here for the teaching,” senior Michaela Serrioz said.

The school also has a plan if an event like this were to happen. Faculty, staff and students have to practice lockdown drills, so teachers and students are prepared.

Here at GEHS, our faculty and staff are finding new and improved ways to protect the school and our students. About two weeks ago,  Garcia attended a conference about protecting schools, and what to do if you’re put in that situation.  The purpose of this conference was to ensure that school policies are up to date.

“Helping each other survive is our best bet,” Garcia said. “We need to empower students and staff to protect themselves. “We have to stop the threat, which means we have to be the first responder. No one messes with my kids.”