8 ways to stay in shape over the summer

Jaqui Carey, Staff Writer

Having a summer body is a must when you’re in high school so here are 8 ways to stay in get into shape and stay in shape during the summer.

• Pack those snacks

You might be thinking, “pack snacks? I’m supposed to be losing weight not gaining it. According to, when losing weight, you don’t want to starve yourself. You should pack snacks that are high in protein such as nuts or simply protein bars. Snacks are good for when you’re on the go and you need to energize your body.

• Drink water and tea

Drinks such as pop, alcohol, and sweetened tea are just unwanted calories to your diet. To stay hydrated you need to drink water everyday. Hydration is good for your skin and your body. Tea also has many different benefits for the body. For instance, green tea is an excellent source of catechins, which is another type of antioxidant according to Study shows that one cup of green tea a day can potentially reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease by 10%. So drink that tea and stay hydrated.

• Water, Water, Watermelon

Eat a watermelon! According to, watermelons fills you up faster because it is 92 percent water which means that it is low in calories. One cup of watermelon may contain between 7.5 and 10 milligrams of antioxidants ( It is a good source of vitamin A and C which is great for you body.

If you want to stay healthy, exercise indoors! When you exercise outside, the air around you is full of pollutants according to Dr. Ronald Crystal of New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center. Dr. Crystal suggest that if you would like to exercise outside, do it in the early morning or late at night because the sun’s ozones are at it’s lowest.

• Eat your carrots

While eating fruits and veggies are good for you already, did you know that carrots can help protect you from sunburns? According to, carrots are rich in beta carotene meaning that it is a good source of vitamin A and C.

• Grab some breakfast

You probably have been told a million times since you’ve been a kid, “eat breakfast!.” I am going to tell you again, EAT BREAKFAST. When you eat breakfast, it prepares your body for the hot day ahead of you. If you fail to eat breakfast your body is more likely to get hydrated faster and it can lead to heat exhaustion according to Eat a high in protein breakfast such as eggs, fruits or whole grains.

• Start steppin’

If you want to squeeze a little bit of exercise in, take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator. Cardio is what helps you burn fat and stay in shape according to If you can, walk to your destination or go sight-seeing. It’s both fun and adventurous and you’re putting in work.

• Hit the water

Swimming is one of the best exercises that you can do according to weight loss resources. Swimming burns calories, helps you lose weight and it has very little stress on your muscles and body. Swimming can also help to improve your heart and your breathing.