Marijuana should be legal

Maddie Owens, Staff Writer

Although I don’t agree that smoking marijuana is good for your health, mainly because it can be addictive to some people, I do however think it should not be illegal anymore.

Now you may be wondering, why would someone who does not agree with weed want it to be legalized?

There are a lot of benefits to our country’s economy if we were to allow marijuana to be legal. Plus, the safety of our country would increase.

According to heatst.com, drug enforcement over taxes our legal system, causes violence, and costs our country anywhere from $1.6 to $6 billion to cover enforcement, prosecution, and incarceration.

Also, it is important to remember that weed is where the Mexican cartels make 60% of their profits and those groups murder over 6,000 people a year.

There are also handfuls of people who die during deals, busts, or while simply stepping onto an illegal farm in the U.S. every year.

Legalization would end all this chaos.

According to www.deamuseum.org, the oldest known written record on cannabis use comes from the Chinese Emperor Shen Nung in 2727 B.C. Ancient Greeks and Romans were also familiar with cannabis, while in the Middle East, use spread throughout the Islamic empire to North Africa.

People argue that weed has been around for years as a medicine, and while that is true, it also has a lot of side effects, such as getting addicted to the high it gives you. It is technically classified as a Schedule one drug. As a reference, methamphetamines are considered a Schedule two.

“Weed is good for your health because it is proven by doctors,” said an anonymous sophomore.

Weed is actually very taxing to your health “in the long run” because it kills your brain cells and inhaling it can damage your lungs.

With all of this being said, I hope that our country can make a smart and safe decision to avoid smoking weed, if weed was legal.

I do believe our country would be better off, economically and safety wise, if the decision was made to allow it in the U.S.