The path less traveled by

Senior goes on nine month mission trip

Jordan Schaeffer
Senior Jordan Schaeffer on a mission trip in Honduras. This was Schaeffer’s second time going to Honduras.

Savanna Renner, Staff Writer

Each year, a group of seniors go through numerous steps of preparation to arrange for their plans after graduation. Whether they decide to go to college, or head straight into the work field; there is something to get ready for. One senior in particular has different plans for her future.
Senior Jordan Schaeffer plans to go on The World Race for a gap year to pursue her dreams of escaping the ordinary.
“The World Race is a nine month mission trip for college aged students whose heartbeat is to see a changed world; to see people transformed through tangible expressions of God’s love,” Schaeffer said.
Schaeffer will be traveling to five different countries in September 2017: India, Nepal, Swaziland, Lesotho and Nicaragua.
Schaeffer first heard about the race during her sophomore year.
“I knew immediately it was something I was going to do”, Schaeffer said.
With a little under a year before leaving, Schaeffer is spending her time making sure she is well prepared for the trip. The cost of the trip is roughly $15,000.
“I am preparing for this through multiple forms of fundraising. Including an Etsy I sell art on, also with bracelets, t-shirts, and many others,” Schaeffer said.
She is not only arranging for fundraising, but making sure she lives her life to the fullest before she leaves.
“I am also preparing by enjoying the moments I have left here,” Schaeffer said.
According to Schaeffer, the thing she is most excited about is all the different people she will be meeting, and all the different cultures she will be experiencing.
Schaeffer’s experience from past mission trips motivates her to make sure The World Race happens in her favor.
“I’ve gone on one week mission trips before and since then I’ve had a desire for what else is out there in the world,” Schaeffer said.
The drive that also comes into play when getting this opportunity also derives from wanting to live a life that is unexpected.

“I feel I’m made for more than just a college degree, working 9-5, and living comfortably… I want to escape the ordinary and love extravagantly with my life,” Schaeffer said.
Once she is there, Schaeffer said she will be doing a combination of things in order to serve. With a positive outlook in mind, Schaeffer is ready to take on each project first hand.

“I may be building, painting, playing with children, learning people’s stories, or sharing hope with human trafficking victims. Each day will be a new and exciting adventure”, Schaeffer said.
By choosing to go on a different path than most seniors her age, Schaeffer believes that through her motivation and hope, everything will fall into place. She has full faith that everything she needs will be provided.